It doesn’t really matter what “diet” you follow (or lifestyle as I like to call it) but I truly believe that the base of any healthy diet is plants. You can still eat meat and have a lot of plants. You can still not eat gluten and have a lot of plants. You can still be vegan or vegetarian and have a lot of plants. It is all about the plants.
Plants are what gives us 99% of the nutrients we need to live healthfully. In order to get all of the nutritious plants into our bodies we should also try to incorporate them into our breakfasts. Weather it be a green juice , a smoothie, or just a big bowl of fruit. Just get it in you!
These carrot cake overnight oats are another fantastic way to help you get those servings of fruits and vegetable in a delicious way. You will never even know that there are carrots in these oats. They taste like dessert.
Getting whole grains like oat groats in the morning is super important. If you find that you are eating light breakfasts like eggs or fruit and then feeling tired and starving it is likely because you aren’t eating enough. Food is our energy. Food is fuel. Adding some grains will add great fiber and brain feeding carbs to your morning to keep you full and keep you going.
Keep your carbs healthy and keep them whole. Ditch the refined grains. Avoid breakfast foods that provide little nutrients like bagels, boxed sugary cereal, donuts, or even instant oatmeal packets. These foods are not much quicker than overnight oats and they only leave you tired and hungry.
- ¼ cup oat groats
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 dates, pitted
- ½ banana, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground
- ¼ tsp ginger, ground
- pinch cloves, ground
- ¾ cup milk of choice (more or less depending on the thickness you like)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp raisins or dried currants
- Add the oats to a 16 oz jar.
- In a blender, blend dates, banana, carrot, spices, and milk until pureed.
- Add the liquid to the oats and mix so that all of the oats are soaked.
- Top with coconut, nuts, and dried fruit.
- Let sit in the fridge overnight covered (or at least a few hours).