I have a hard time finding (and creating) really good cookie recipes. I have tried some different versions in the past but they tend to come out too crunchy or too cakey (is that a word?). Just because it is in the shape of a cookie does not mean that it is a cookie. I love my cookies to be soft and slightly chewy (and healthy too of course). I came up with a 3 ingredient sugar cookie that looks, acts, and tastes like a cookie! You don’t have to feel terrible about eating these either. These are gluten free, refined sugar free, paleo, nut free and made with 100% real food.
***Sorry my vegans this recipe does contain a pasture egg but don’t worry I have an awesome dessert coming at you next. I did try to make this cookie vegan with a chia egg but it was a complete fail. I will keep trying!***
If you have not yet made the switch to pasture eggs then I highly recommend finding a location near you that sells them. I get mine at a local farm. Not only are the nutritionally superior but they are more humane too. Conventional eggs come from chickens that are usually raised in an overcrowded hen house or cage. They are fed grain-based feed and may be treated with antibiotics or hormones. It isn’t really enough to buy organic eggs in the grocery store because they still may have limited access to the outdoors. Pasture eggs are found to have higher Vitamin A, E, and Omega 3 fatty acids. Plus they are free to roam outside like mother nature intended.
As a huge fan of real food made with real ingredients this cookie recipe fits the bill perfectly. Not to mention how easy they are to make! Make these your own with any add-in that are your favorites.
- 8.8 ounce bag unsweetened coconut flakes (3 cups), or 1 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg (pasture preferred)
- Pinch salt
- Optional add ins:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor add the coconut flakes and process until smooth (nut butter like consistency).
- In a bowl add the coconut butter, sugar, and egg.
- Mix until combined.
- Add in any optional add ins and mix until combined.
- On a lined baking sheet add 1 tablespoon drops of the batter mixture.
- Press down the dough with your fingers and mark with a fork if desired.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
*choose organic ingredients when possible.