This pie! Let me tell you about this Berry Banana Cream Pie…sugar free, dairy free, gluten free, vegan, paleo, raw, no bake, healthy and oh so delicious. What more can I say?
It’s Recipe Redux time and this months theme was what deliciousness can you make in a crust. After just recently posting a Peanut Butter Cup pie recipe I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to come up with another pie so quickly. But my goal was to deliver and I believe this recipe totally does the job. I was out to prove that, yet again, desserts doesn’t have to be loaded with sugar to be delicious. This berry banana cream pie is sweetened with 100% fruit and will satisfy even the biggest sweet tooth.
Berries are in season and on a recent trip I had a ton of fun picking blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries for the first time. I believe I referred to berry picking as my Disneyland. Berries are loaded with fiber and antioxidants while being relatively lower in sugar then other fruits. Plus they are just so darn good!
Whipped coconut cream creates the cream part of this pie. Dairy free, healthy fats, and it adds a slightly coconut flavor to this delicious pie. Which is enhanced even more by the addition of some coconut flakes in the crust. Mashed banana adds sweetness and even more nutrients to the filling with potassium, vitamin B6, and vitamin C (just to name a few). Chia seeds not only helps to naturally thicken the filling but enhances the health factor even more in this pie. Chia seeds contain fiber, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and antioxidants all in these little black seeds. A true super food.
Hot summers call for no bake desserts. When it is over 100 degrees in the summer my oven definitely gets a break so the fact that this pie is also no bake makes it a perfect summertime treat. What more could you ask for? I am so in love with this pie and I know that you will be too!
- 1/2 cup raw nuts (I used cashews)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- pinch salt
- 8-10 large dates, pitted
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight to separate the cream and water
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled and mashed with a fork
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cleaned, de-stemmed and cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a food processor add the nuts, coconut flakes, and salt.
- While the processor is running at the dates one at a time until the mixture is soft and crumbly. You should be able to press the mixture between your fingers and have it stick together.
- Press the crust into a 9-10 inch pie pan evenly on the bottom and up the sides.
- To make the crust open the can of chilled coconut milk and scrape the coconut cream from the can reserving the coconut milk for later (a great addition to smoothies).
- With a whisk or hand mixer whip the coconut cream until light a fluffy.
- Fold in the mashed banana until combined.
- Fold in the berries and chia seeds until combined.
- Scrap the mixture into the pie crust and let set up in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Cut and serve.
- Store wrapped in the fridge for up to 5 days.
*choose organic ingredients when possible.