Tis the season and I wanted to try to make a healthy version of gingerbread. I tried one recipe that was a total failure and then I realized that I probably had a good recipe all along. I simply modified my Spiced Apple Muffin recipe. Replace apples with gingerbread spices and viola! It was the moistest gingerbread recipe I have ever tried. I would go as far as to say it is the BEST healthy gingerbread cake recipe. Delicious. Healthy, real food, whole ingredient gingerbread you can feel good about eating all season long (or any time). Plus, my version is naturally gluten-free, too, and contains some bumped-up protein. You must try this one!
Being a huge ginger fan, I love any excuse to add ginger to a recipe. Ginger has so many nutritional benefits including reducing inflammation. I’ve talked about ginger many times before, but it is truly an amazing superfood. I add it to everything, but you truly can’t have gingerbread without ginger.
Cake for Breakfast
This Gingerbread Cake is so healthy that you really could eat it for breakfast, a snack, or dessert. It contains only the healthiest ingredients with a little added sweetener in the form of molasses. When choosing a sweetener to use for this recipe I had to go with molasses because that is what traditionally gives gingerbread such a nice flavor.
- 1 cup cooked lentils (I used brown)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 egg or chia egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor or blender grind the rolled oats into a flour.
- In a large bowl, add the oat flour, lentils, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, mix the applesauce, coconut sugar, coconut oil, molasses, and egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet until just combined.
- In greased 8x8 pan, add the mixture and level out the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes until set.
- Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Keep on the counter for 3 days, in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for 1 month.
For a cleaner cutting process put in the fridge for a couple of hours before cutting. Choose organic ingredients when possible.