This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sprouts Farmers Market. All opinions are 100% mine.
The big game is just around the corner and one necessity for any Super Bowl party is a BIG tray of nachos! But I don’t do anything without giving it a twist and these Chicken Enchilada Plantain Nachos are no exception.
Football fan I am not, but I do love chicken enchiladas and nachos so they made the perfect marriage.
I am also obsessed with plantain chips and eat at least one or two bags ever single week. Have you tried them yet? They are literally my favorite snack. Try them dipped in some guacamole. The perfect combinations of healthy carbohydrate and good fat. I seriously would get stock in plantain chips if I could. I first fell in love with plantains on a trip to Puerto Rico where I ate my weight in tostones.
Plantains look like banana but they are much starchier and when they are not sweet at all when they have a green skin. The starch is extremely beneficial and is known as a resistant starch. This type of starch isn’t fully broken down and absorbed so that it can be food for the good bacteria in your digestive system, also known as a prebiotic.
You all probably have heard how important the gut is for our overall health and particularly having a large amount of good bacteria to keep things functioning well. I have also previously written about how gut health is connected to our hormone health. Swapping out the traditional corn chips for plantain chips with these nachos helps boost the nutritional content and health benefits of traditional nachos.
Who doesn’t love the gooey cheese covering a loaded plate of nachos? I love it too but dairy isn’t something everyone tolerates well. When working with my clients I often run food sensitivity tests with them and I can say that one of the top sensitivities I see is cows dairy. A large percentage of the population can’t tolerate certain types of dairy so I topped these Chicken Enchilada Plantain Nachos with an easy homemade cashew cheese sauce. This way no matter who shows up to your party they will have some allergen friendly options that is still completely tailgate worthy.
- 2- 6 ounce bags Sprouts Brand original plantain chips
- ½ pound Sprouts Brand organic chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- ⅓ cup Sprouts Brand frozen organic corn, thawed
- 1 can- 2.25 oz. can Sprouts Brand sliced black olives, drained
- 1 cup Sprouts Brand organic canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups strained tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sprouts Brand organic cumin
- ½ teaspoon Sprouts Brand organic cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Sprouts Brand organic cinnamon
- Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews (soak in warm water for 1 hour, then drain and rinse before using to soften the nuts)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Sprouts Brand organic cumin
- 1 teaspoon Sprouts Brand organic chili powder
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Warm the enchilada sauce ingredients in a small saucepan on the stove over low heat.
- Add the cashew cheese sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- On a sheet pan spread the plantain chips evenly out in one layer.
- Mix the shredded chicken with 1 cup of the enchilada sauce to coat.
- Spread the chicken evenly over the plantain chips.
- Spread the corn, black olives, and black beans evenly over the top of the chicken,
- Warm the pan of nachos under the oven broiler as desired.
- Drizzle the pan of nachos with the reserved enchilada sauce and then cashew cheese sauce.
- Top with cubed avocado and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.