My husband and I are both a lover of anything with Brussels sprouts. So much so that every time we see them on a menu our mouths start to water immediately. In fact, my Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash and Bacon was inspired by an appetizer that we recently had. This recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey Mustard and Pecans just so happens to also be inspired by a recent date night. We loved them so much that we had to order a second serving — they were that good!
I chose to roast the Brussels sprouts instead of frying them (like the original butternut squash recipe) to keep them on the healthier side. The honey mustard sauce is a delicious twist to an otherwise boarding vegetable and adds an unexpected burst of flavor. I would even serve the Brussels sprouts with the sauce on the side to dip for an appetizer. The original dish also included bacon, which would take these roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey Mustard and Pecans over the top if you wish to add it to the recipe.
When you love Brussels sprouts as much as my family does, serving them at holiday meals is a must. This recipe would be a great addition to any dinner table and make a Brussels sprouts lover out of anyone. Brussels Sprouts with Honey Mustard and Pecans is another incredibly easy dish to keep in your recipe book for the holiday season.
I hope to inspire you to try something new and healthy. If you don’t think that you like Brussels sprouts and have never tried them roasted, then I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone. I have been able to turn a Brussels hater into a Brussels lover with a simple trip to a hot oven.
If you need a bit of an added encouragement to giving Brussels sprouts a try, then we can talk about the nutritional benefits. These cruciferous vegetables may protect your heart, cardiovascular system, and digestive system. They contain vitamins K, C, and A, potassium, manganese, folate, fiber, and antioxidants. There you have it…now on to the recipe.
An easy and nutritious side dish that will make a Brussels sprouts lover out of anyone.
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, stems and outer leaves removed (cut in half if they are large)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain or stone ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw pecans (any nut will work)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat the Brussels sprouts in coconut oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet in one layer.
- Roast in the hot oven until the out leaves are super crispy and the Brussels sprouts are tender about 15-20 minutes.
- In a dry pan over medium low heat add the nuts and toast until slightly golden and fragrant about 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the mustard, honey, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Coat the hot Brussels sprouts with the sauce.
- Toss in toasted nuts and reserve some to be sprinkled on top.
Choose organic ingredients when possible.