I don’t know about you but I was a big fan of shamrock shakes. I was sad that they were only available for a short time in March for St. Patrick’s Day. Now I am just sad that they are made from horrible, unnatural, and unhealthy ingredients.
The ingredients that stand out most are: Corn syrup solids, Carrageenan (a possible carcinogen), High fructose corn syrup, Yellow 5, Blue 1. In the almost 25 ingredient shake I only recognized 4 as a real food. How sad is that?
But fear not. My motto with food like this is MAKE IT YOURSELF AND USE REAL INGREDIENTS. It really is that simple. Now you can enjoy a shamrock shake any time of the year and not feel bad about it. My version is so healthy that you could even have it for breakfast. YEA!
- 1 Banana, peeled and frozen
- Handful Spinach (about 1 cup loosely packed)
- ¼ cup packed mint leaves (about 30 of varying sizes)
- ½ cup milk of choice (I used almond)
- 1-2 drops pure peppermint extract
- 4 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to a blend and blend until smooth.
- Add more or less peppermint extract depending on how minty you like it.