Acai bowls are all of the rage right now and for good reason. Acai berries are the star of these bowls and have been known for centuries in the Amazon as a source of energy and health. They are a close relative of blueberries and cranberries but contain even more antioxidants. You know, antioxidants, those things that can prevent or slow cell damage which causes aging.
Acai berries are low in sugar fruit, but contain excellent amounts of iron, calcium, fiber, and vitamin A. They also contain beneficial fatty acids which helps nourish skin via elasticity, moisture retention, and healthy hormone production. Acai berries provide anti-inflammatory benefits which can help prevent disease. No wonder it is considered a powerful superfood!
Some say that acai tastes like a combination of berries and chocolate which is why I think this recipe works so well. This magic shell has the taste of chocolate but with all of the health benefits of the powerful acai berry. You can even pour the mixture into molds and set them in the fridge for a healthy homemade chocolate bar.
Acai can be purchased as frozen pulp or as a [freeze dried powder|http://amzn.to/1MsFX7m]. Both versions can be used in smoothies, homemade juices, oatmeal, desserts, and more!
My acai magic shell is the perfect addition to any superfood sundae. Top it with even more superfoods like hemp seeds, goji berries, cocoa nibs, golden berries, chia seeds, or mulberries. What are your favorite sundae toppings? Traditional or nontraditional…
- 2 tablespoons acai powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or raw local honey
- pinch sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- If it is hot outside you can keep leftovers in an airtight container in the pantry.
- If it is cold outside the leftovers with solidify in the pantry but you can remelt in warm water before using again.
*choose organic ingredients when possible.